[jsword-devel] Help System (was New Developer)

Aleksander Rozman - Andy jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:18:28 +0100

At 12/27/2003, you wrote:

>>>There are servlets that use the jsword engine to produce a website.
>>>HTML output is very helpful for this.

>>>I'm not sure there is a benefit to it at the moment.
>>
>>I mean for Help, not for displaying the bible... For standalone version
>>of JSword I think it's quite OK to use JEditorPane, so that you don't
>>need any external dependencies...
>
>To be honest I've not thought much about a help system.
>My design criteria would be that help text must be useful to several UIs,
>including Swing and the web.
>So if JavaHelp requires input that can't easily be shared then I don't
>like it much.
>Though there is a lot of overlap in functionality between JavaHelp and
>JSword, the match may well not be perfect, but I know very little about
>JavaHelp so I don't know.
>
>If you know about JavaHelp then please help us! So long as the help text
>is usable to several UIs then I don't have a problem with it.
>
>Joe.

Mhm. I haven't worked with JavaHelp either but as far as I know, it has
help system to be used together with XML or HTML files. It's quite easy to
use, and I don't think it would be problem to use it in some ways you need
them to. As I know it was intended for JFrame instances (since java native
ways to handling help files is not so good (you can use JEditorPane, but if
you need a good help, this will not be good enough. For usgae with servlets
you could probbaly use browser directly wothout this classes...

Andy