[jsword-devel] New Developer

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:02:14 +0000

Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:

> I never install on default possition. When I tried to select directory I
> couldn't (for main bible directory), because file selection is enabled
> and not directory. Also when I set directory nothing is found. So far I
> have one bible KJV+.bbl in windows install directory (e-Sword)....
>
> I also downloade RAW instalation files and copied contects of zip to
> resources dir. but it doesn't work....

Don't confuse us with e-Sword. I appreciate the names are confusing, but
e-Sword has nothing to do with the SWORD project or JSword. JSword does
not read e-Sword files, and to the best of my knowledge neither does C++
SWORD.

>>> - Status bar, text is resizing whole status bar. Status bar elements
>>> are not the same size (borders)
>>
>> I'm not seeing this - I do get the status bar adjusting the space it
>> gives to elements within itself, but then whole thing stays the same
>> size.
>
> Reallly? Try going to different items (which should print some text in
> status) now this resizes everything...

Not here. Tried on XP and 2K. What are you on?

>>> Nifty things to be done:
>>> - i18n
>>
>> Work started - many resources are read using Msg (resource classes in
>> many packages)
>> The idea is that you get to write in English first without needing to
>> add lots of resource files or discovering that the key you are using
>> no-longer exists in the resource file or the other way around.
>> However Many gui elements don't use Msg and I've not actually created
>> any translation files. It may look English only, but it isn't MsgBase
>> allows resource files to override the english text.
>
> It would be better if we created language files (plain text) for each
> language , plugins will of course have their own language files (if
> needed)... It's very unwise to put strings in classes. In old versions
> of i18n it was practice to put all string in class files, but in newer
> version, usually *properties files are created with String definitions,
> and they are read when software needs it.
> I have already done this, and I can tell you it's the best way. Strings
> are cached, but not all of them.... (if strings are defined in classes,
> they reside in memory for as long as class exists....

I think Msg provides the best of both worlds. It allows the developer to
hardcode strings for speed and simplicity, and then override them using
a properties file later. MsgBase is worth a look it does use properties
files.

>>> - adding of Skinlf support (SkinLF is library that alows adding of
>>> several types of themes, L&F
>>
>> Should be supported already. Add the skinlf to your classpath and type
>> the L&F class name into the options dialog.
 >
> This won't work. SkinLF needs one parameter (File with Look and feel)
> and it must be enabled (quite different than normal L&F), which means
> that we need special configuration window... I can do this if you want?

Is this parameter a passed in the ctor or another way?

>>> - Help (this could be done with JavaHelp)
>>
>> Or even a Book! I think the core job of displaying and searching Bible
>> data is very similar to JavaHelp's job.
>
> Yes it is. We could probably use JavaHelp to display bible (with some
> modifications)

I think HTML is a much more broadly understood standard, and it allows
us to output to the web rather than a Swing JEditorPane too.

Joe.