[jsword-devel] New Developer

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 06:17:11 +0000

Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:

> I downloaded CVS version. It isn't much different from 15Dec build... I
> am still having problem loading bibles. Which bibles are accepted in
> JSword? I couldn't find KJV2003? Where I can find it?

You should be able to download it from the Sword site. Click on the
modules link.
We accept any Sword modules.
If you download windows c++ sword, it comes with a module
downloader/installer which should help. If you install is in the default
position then JSword should find the windows modules automatically.

> Some issuses found:
> - if no bible installed program more or less breakes, setup is on 10%
> and waits for something...
> - Status bar, text is resizing whole status bar. Status bar elements are
> not the same size (borders)

I'm not seeing this - I do get the status bar adjusting the space it
gives to elements within itself, but then whole thing stays the same size.

> - Adding of bible not supported (we should be able to browse for bible,
> to be able to add it), same for all other elements

Is Tools->Options->Sword->Base Directory what you are looking for?

I had made a mental note to postpone writing a module installer until
after 1.0, but given the recent number of comments, maybe I should being
that forward. Thoughts anyone?

> Nifty things to be done:
> - i18n

Work started - many resources are read using Msg (resource classes in
many packages)
The idea is that you get to write in English first without needing to
add lots of resource files or discovering that the key you are using
no-longer exists in the resource file or the other way around.
However Many gui elements don't use Msg and I've not actually created
any translation files. It may look English only, but it isn't MsgBase
allows resource files to override the english text.

> - adding of Skinlf support (SkinLF is library that alows adding of
> several types of themes, L&F

Should be supported already. Add the skinlf to your classpath and type
the L&F class name into the options dialog.

> - Help (this could be done with JavaHelp)

Or even a Book! I think the core job of displaying and searching Bible
data is very similar to JavaHelp's job.

> I was wondering, when is planned release of version 1.0? We are now at
> 0.9.6
> Install version of 0.9.6, doesn't work by the way. Exe file doesn't
> allow starting of application. I had to run it manually.

Install is a pain.
The InstallAnywhere builds are very nice when they work, however they
are broken on the Mac, and apparently don't always work on PCs.
I have thought of swapping to the winamp installer, which I think is
open source, and seems to be more configurable.
Anyone have any ideas?

> One off topic question. how many developers are currently working of
> project...

I am the main developer, but there are several others that contribute
code from time to time. I've been a bit slow in the past month because I
am very very busy. I'm working on 3 significant projects at church and
we're in the middle of an extension that has left us without heating so
JSword time is getting a little squeezed. But I still find a bit of time
now and again. Things should be a little more sane again soon.

Joe.