[jsword-devel] webstart on windows and slimming

Mark Goodwin jsword-devel@crosswire.org
12 Oct 2002 10:32:41 +0100

Thanks for taking a look, Joe, much appreciated.

> WebStart progress - on windows everything now downloads and runs just
> fine, however all the resources that are/should be loaded from
> resource.jar or projectb-ser-av.zip fail to load, so the config dialog
> is blank, and there is no Bible data. Clearly the latter is more of a
> problem, but I suspect the same bug is the cause of both.

I got that far.  I suspected both bugs are symptoms of the same problem
too.  Eclipse is a tad slow under VMWare so debugging was tedious (my
machine ain't the fastest).  I'll perhaps take another look when I'm
feeling more patient.

> I edited the jnlp file for 1.3, and moved it to doc/jnlp from etc. At
> the end of the day the file only works from a website, so it seemed more
> sense to keep it as part of the rest of the website.

A sensible move.

> Somewhat annoyingly
> the codebase element seems to suggest that it will only be of use from
> one specific website - presumably crosswire, or do I misunderstand this?

This is indeed true.   I intend to write a JSP page that will
automatically insert the correct codebase. I imagine most people would
be serving from a Java server, but I can also do PHP and Perl cgi
versions if people need them.

The slimming stuff; I have really no idea.  I had a similar problem with
a project at work: Project 'X' depended on a tiny subset of project 'Y',
Y's deliverable was an 800k jar, X is a little program for a resource
limited WinCE device.  In the end, I just added Y's sources to the
sourcepath when X was being built.  This would prabably not make much
sense in this situation though, we want to keep building as simple as
possible.

Perhaps I could do this once, manually separate non org.crosswire files,
and we could maintain a slim-jword-log4j.jar of our own?

Any other thoughts?