[jsword-devel] Automated builds, etc.

Joe Walker jsword-devel@bibletechnologieswg.org
28 Jul 2002 22:42:32 +0100

On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 21:57, Mark Goodwin wrote:
> What do people think of the idea of setting up an automated build system
> for jsword?  Something like Cruise Control or anthill should do the job
> quite nicely.  I'm happy to do this if people think it would be a good
> idea.

I think it is a very good idea. I dont have strong feelings about cc vs
anthill, but the experience I have says:
CC:
- not actively developed?
- has problems locking jars
- has problems with classpaths
- complex config files to edit
+ well known

Anthill:
- some confusion over build.xml and publish.xml
- no automatic simple display of junit test results (does cc?)
+ nice web config i/f

I have a few targets I could easily add to JSword to help Anthill so
Anthill would be a slight preference for me, and I could help a bit as I
know more about anthill.

> Also, what do people think of the idea of creating ANT targets for the
> varions JUnit tests?  This way we could get frequent feedback on the
> status of the project trunk from automated nightly builds.

Again good idea. I think a timed anthill build should create a website
containing javadoc and junit test results. If you can add the junit
targets I'll do the other bits.

> Finally, what about adding a target for making signed versions of the
> jsword jar and it's dependancies for use with JNLP - this would provide
> an excellent method of getting recent builds to interested
> non-developers to get feedback.

Also good idea. I'd do it after the other 2, but if should help a lot
with making the thing easy to startup.

Joe.