[jsword-devel] Recent Updates

Joe Walker jsword-devel@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:17:08 +0100

Hi,

Keith wrote:
> Yep, I found where I got hung up in the Resource file.  I like
> your forward
> thinking about the URLs.  I was wondering if the engine would ever be
> separated from the Bible source files?  Do we not want the source
> files and
> the engine to be accessing a common file system for the sake of speed?

Yes if speed is the priority.

One of my ideas has been to have a clever installation where you start by
looking at a web-site using servlet type stuff (100% server side) and move
to a full swing GUI (100% client side) going through Applets, JNLP, Swing
GUI with remote processing, etc.
So speed is not always the priority.

URLs should be just as fast as Files for most things, and where they are not
(I think the SerBible does this to get hold of a RandomAccessFile) you can
always convert a URL("file:...") into a File.

> In any event, the code that looks for versions does construct
> File objects.
> I have modified this to remove an odd place where Windows causes two "/"
> characters to appear in a path.  This is in the common utility
> NetUtil.lengthenURL().  Win2k constructs the file: type URL with a
> File.separator at the end.  The function also postpends a
> File.separator.  I
> just added a switch to skip the postpend if a File.separator is the last
> character of the URL.toString().

That sounds sensible.

> In findBibles(URL), a few places we instantiate File objects to
> look for the
> versions directory.  These checked for trailing "/" characters.  I changed
> them to look for File.separator.

Does this need re-evaluating in light of my other mail on URLs?

Come to that can anyone verify that I am right? I've just looked at the w3c
spec and it does not mention file: at all!

Joe.