[bt-devel] BibleTime 3.0 RC1 -- RECALLED

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Sun May 10 01:11:30 MST 2020

On 10.05.20 10:55, Jaak Ristioja wrote:
> On 10.05.20 06:00, Gary Holmlund wrote:
>> The path to the documentation directory is being built wrong. BibleTime
>> will crash on startup.
>>
>> It is defined as the path to the documentation during the build. It
>> worked for us during testing because we have that build directory. As
>> soon as the build is not there, it will crash. For end users it will
>> always crash.
>>
>> /usr/bin/g++
>> -DBT_DOCDIR=\"/home/gary/shared/sw/bt/build-Desktop_Qt_5_14_2_GCC_64bit-Debug/install/share/doc/bibletime\"
>
> Works for me when installed from a Gentoo ebuild. I don't think that
> warrants a recall. It should be possible to pass
> -DBT_DOCDIR=/path/to/somewhere to work around this.

I understand where this issue can come from, however I'm not going to
recall the release. It is possible to work around this by other means.

The simplest way (without patching the code) would be to first build and
install everything as usual, then to do another build passing a better
-DBT_DOCDIR= value to cmake, build bibletime and replace the bibletime
binary in the first install with the binary created during the second build.

I undestand this is a temporary workaround and not a long term solution
for environments where the actual install directory will differ from the
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX passed to CMake. Minor build system or code changes
might be needed to support such cases. I think this issue can be worked
around and acceptable for a release candidate. We can always do RC 2.
Even if this were BibleTime 3.0 final, I don't think this is serious
enough to warrant a recall as, we could just do 3.0.1.

God bless!