[bt-devel] NASB Unlock Key

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Jan 7 18:00:09 MST 2020

Jaak,

Saying this statement over and over again doesn't make it real:

> SWORD code is full with... rotten bugs waiting to be fixed and
inefficiencies to be optimized. Why is practically NOTHING being done by
SWORD developers to improve such matters? Why is help to improve things
rejected? Why are bug reports ignored? Why are concerns of frontend
developers always discarded?

I program against our code in various project almost every day... on
websites, mobile phones, research environments, for university and end
users.  I have a vested interest in our code working well.  If I thought
your suggestions actually fixed or optimized anything without risking
portability, I would LOVE to take advantage of your suggestions.

I'm mostly done with this thread.  I've said all I can.  You've mostly
called me and all contributors to SWORD liars and bad programmers, all
in very general terms.  When I try to drill down to specifics, I still
get mostly platitudes from you about how things should be done.  I don't
change working code simply for what someone thinks is a better way.  If
you show me a patch makes something faster or more safe and doesn't
introduce new dependencies or risk cross-platform compilation, I am not
only willing but welcoming for changes like these, but you have said
that you aren't willing to stoop to our level of programming because
SWORD is simply beyond repair (or that's the impression I have gotten
from your emails)-- I can't express how completely opposite we feel
about the situation.  I hesitate to change anything because I know in
how many environments SWORD is used and working well and don't want to
risk any of this.  I know how many odd scenarios we've debugged and all
the little tweaks in the code for these scenarios over so many years.
Not wishing to change things without a really good reason is my default
position.  If you are experiencing any demonstrable problems in your
current release of Bibletime, please let me know.  I'm happy to work
with you to solve the issue.

I may be wrong and this may sound arrogant, but I've worked for 35 year
in the software industry and work with junior engineers (not implying
you are a junior engineer; I have no idea of your background) every day
who have misconceptions of code maturity and use terms like 'bit-rot'.
They don't understand the value of code maturity.  I usually send them
to read this article:

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

It might help explain our different points of view.  Again, I have every
reason to welcome any bug fix or optimization you might submit.  I want
all my projects which use SWORD to continue to be successful.  There is
no reason I would reject a legitimate fix of a legitimate bug.

I admit I do need reminders at times, so if you are genuinely bucking up
against a real-world problem using SWORD that I have forgotten (not just
wanting to see SWBuf replaced with std::string or all code to use the
latest C++17 features, or code changed to appease compiler warnings
which point out places which might be problematic, etc...) please remind
me of one problem at a time.  I would suggest adding a test to our
sword/tests/testsuite/ which can reliably reproduce the problem, to be
sure I can reproduce the issue on my end and also to be sure after we
fix the issue, your test will remain to prevent future regression.

I am not going to answer your last arguments as I think we both know
they have no real substance (browsers go to great lengths to prevent
malicious code = sure, and so does your Qt embedded browser view.  I am
sure your Qt control has sandboxing and the ability to disable remote
content, if you are worried about that).  We could go in circles on
these things forever.  I have already said I would entertain your
patches for security concerns if they didn't prohibit needed
functionality (<a href>) add new dependencies, or cause performance
degredation.

I appreciate your willingness for introspection.  Please know I've
checked my intentions, as well.  I sincerely want to work together and
sincerely want to produce useful software and would love to apply
patches that don't change things for "change's sake" but fix
demonstrable problems or improve speed.

Troy