[bt-devel] "Join Us"

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Sat Jan 12 02:27:53 MST 2013

Hi John!

On 12.01.2013 00:25, John B. Turpish wrote:
> I was considering the possibility of maybe helping out a bit at
> some indeterminate point in the future. So I went through the steps
> here <http://blog.bibletime.info/en/development/join-us> except
> for: " Sign up for an account on our wiki
> <http://devel.bibletime.info/>, and make your contribution there."
> - Trying to do so gave me " Permissions errors You do not have
> permission to create this user account, for the following reason:
> The action you have requested is limited to users in the group:
> Administrators."

Hmm... yeah that page is a bit out of date and should be updated. We
closed registration to the wiki because we got many spambots. You can
ask for an account on #bibletime @ FreeNode or e-mail me in private
and you will get it.

We now use SourceForge mostly only for the distributing the sources
and binaries each release. Our repository is now on gitorious:
  https://gitorious.org/bibletime
For starters you can clone our repository and develop in your own
branch. If you have commits you would like us to pull into our main
repository, just submit a pull request on gitorious or contact us in
other ways.

> " If you do not know what to do please ask on the mailing list for
> some tasks. Do not forget to add how difficult it should be." - I
> guess I'm sort of doing that now. I've been a professional C++
> developer for a few years now, so it doesn't have to be super easy.
> However, at this point I'm pretty uncommitted and undedicated with
> relatively little time to allocated to this, so it would be good if
> it's really low priority and preferably not involve tons of
> time-consuming busywork.
>
> Any thoughts?

The current BibleTime developers are currently rather busy doing other
stuff and have not had much time to work on BibleTime, so I can't
recall any simple C++ tasks right now.

For me personally the most important task has been just to refactor
the code, because currently its just too much spaghetti and hard to
figure out for new developers. I'm afraid that such refactoring would
be too time-consuming for you. You could just try to browse the code
and see whether there's something you can do better.

Another thing is that might be a bit more simple in some cases are the
retranslation methods of GUI element classes (src/frontend and
similar). Namely the goal has been that every GUI widget which has
translatable tr("strings") should also have a retranslateUi() method,
which would reset the strings. These methods would later allow us to
change the language of BibleTime dynamically without requiring a
restart to the application. See
src/frontend/bookshelfmanager/installpage/btinstallpage.cpp for a
simple example.

God bless!
Jaak