[bt-devel] next release, releases, project management

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Sun Aug 29 12:19:34 MST 2010

Hi all,

I'd like to address several topics. After a private discussion with
Jaak, I'd like to make several proposals.

Next Release
##########

We should release a 2.7 release with selected backported bugfixes and
features. Separately, I will release a 2.8+gitXYZ release as a MacOS
.dmg file for mac users to test. Ok?

Release Cycle
###########

We should decide on a new release cycle and document the agreement in
the wiki. Jaak suggested a fixed schedule of 2 feature releases per
year. Here's his suggestion:

How about something like this (a very rough sketch):
  Month 0   - Full release + formal start of development cycle
  Month 3   - Release beta 1
  Month 4   - Release beta 2 + Feature freeze
                (+ maybe branch stable-2.#)
  Month 4,5 - String freeze (notifying translators)
  Month 5   - Release release candidate 1
  Month 5,5 - Release release candidate 2
  Month 6   - Full 2.#.0 release + formal start of new development cycle

I'd personally prefer 3 releases per year, but 2 is also ok with me. IMO
it is important to have a fix, time-based release policy though, so
releases would be made even if only few new features are available. What
do you think? Should the cycle be longer, shorter, or should we use
something else? I'm especially interested in opinions of people who
actively contributed in the past, or will do so in the near future.
Let's try to get a consensus soon.

Release Manager
##############

If we can agree on a new release policy, I want to suggest that Jaak
will take on the responsibilities of the Release Manager. He already
agreed to take this responsibility if we have a consensus.

Project Management
#################

In the past months, I was not able to contribute to BibleTime's codebase
substantially, and I expect this situation not to change any time soon.
In the discussions we had about release cycle and Git migration, we had
differences of opinion, and I feel that it is no longer the time for my
opinion to be weighed in a special way regarding BibleTime as a project.
Gary and Jaak have been the people contributing most substantially in
the recent months, so in my opinion their voices should be heard in the
first place regarding strategic, technical and other decisions about
BibleTime. I don't know if we need a formal project manager, but if we
do, I suggest that one of them (or both together) take that
responsibility. What do you think?

This does not mean that I want to retire from BibleTime, but I need to
draw the consequences of what is. My hope is that BibleTime will be
developed with a strong vision, motivation and strategic leadership, and
I'm not the person to provide all that at this point. I hope to keep
working on MacOS support and, if time permits, also contribute new
features and bugfixes. Maybe also advice on why things were done the way
they are, or special problems that I know or solved in the past.

Let me also say thank you for the great spirit of cooperation and
fellowship that you all contributed towards at BibleTime, and for all
contributions and time spent working on BibleTime. And for the respect
that you showed to me when we had disagreements, even if there is
nothing a project manager can do to enforce their decision in an
OpenSource project (as opposed to a boss at work). I hope and pray that
it will stay like this with new people being responsible as well.

May God bless you all,
best regards,

mg