[bt-devel] Seg faults and lost comments in 1.6.1

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Wed Nov 29 06:28:51 MST 2006

Hi,
I'm sorry for all these problems.

> To give write access to the personal directory for my normal user,
> jsullivan, I historically have created a ~/sword/ directory with the
> personal commentary (full directory path - mods.d and
> modules/comments/rawfiles/ if I recall correctly).  I then tell
> Bibletime to include this in my bookshelves.  This results in either a
> segmentation fault or an infinite loop when I start bibletime.  stderr
> does not tell me much except that it is segfaulting when saving
> settings.  The user does own and have rw access to the directory.

Hm, not good. Can you submit a bug report for that?
I usually use the personal module by downloading it and then
cd ~/.sword/
unzip ~/Personal.zip

which puts the necessary files into the dir structure. Does that work for you?

> When I did sudo bibletime, I did not segfault.  This is, in effect in
> the Ubuntu world, running as root.  It used the personal commentary
> in /usr/local/share/sword.  So, I finally gave in and chown the personal
> commentary in that tree to jsullivan:jsullivan.  That solved the seg
> fault.
>
> However, I cannot save comments either as root or jsullivan.  The option
> to edit is there.  It takes the text (my source is set to Plain) and it
> even saves a file.  However, rather than a numeric string, the file name
> is a single non-ascii character.  The text is preserved but the comment
> cannot be retrieved in either edit or display mode.

Probably a Sword problem related to your 64 bit environment. Did it work
before?
Does the file "incfile" exist in the data dir of the personal modules
(something like modules/comments/rawfiles/personal/)? What is it's content?

Do you have a UTF locale configured for your users?