[bt-devel] Seg faults and lost comments in 1.6.1

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Nov 29 04:25:31 MST 2006

Hello, all.  I'm having a disastrous time with bibletime 1.6.1 with
Sword 1.5.9 and CLucene 0.9.16a on Ubuntu 6.0.6 64 bit for amd64 fully
patched.  I am supposed to start a teen study tomorrow night so I'm
quite panicked.  I have two problems.

To give write access to the personal directory for my normal user,
jsullivan, I historically have created a ~/sword/ directory with the
personal commentary (full directory path - mods.d and
modules/comments/rawfiles/ if I recall correctly).  I then tell
Bibletime to include this in my bookshelves.  This results in either a
segmentation fault or an infinite loop when I start bibletime.  stderr
does not tell me much except that it is segfaulting when saving
settings.  The user does own and have rw access to the directory.

When I did sudo bibletime, I did not segfault.  This is, in effect in
the Ubuntu world, running as root.  It used the personal commentary
in /usr/local/share/sword.  So, I finally gave in and chown the personal
commentary in that tree to jsullivan:jsullivan.  That solved the seg
fault.

However, I cannot save comments either as root or jsullivan.  The option
to edit is there.  It takes the text (my source is set to Plain) and it
even saves a file.  However, rather than a numeric string, the file name
is a single non-ascii character.  The text is preserved but the comment
cannot be retrieved in either edit or display mode.

HELP!!! (and thanks) - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com