Talk:Alternate Versification/System Identification
Discussion in the Go Bible Forum on this subject
Please visit http://jolon.org/vanillaforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=745 where there is some discussion of different versification systems, with particular reference to Ukrainian translations and other Slavic Bibles. You may need to (register &) login for the link to the topic to work. Do so at http://jolon.org/vanillaforum/ (top right). David Haslam 17:55, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
3 John 1:14-15 (versification) in existing SWORD modules
Online editions of several Spanish Bibles have the 3 John verse 15 as the reference for the second part of what in the KJV is in verse 14.
Example: The 1858 Reina Valera NT has (e.g. at the Unbound Bible site)
13. Yo tenia muchas cosas que escribir[te:] empero no quiero escribirte por tinta y pluma: 14. Porque espero verte en breve, y hablarémos boca á boca. 15. Paz [sea] contigo. Los amigos te saludan. Saluda tú á los amigos por nombre.
Whereas our existing SWORD module SpaVNT actually combines the text of verse 15 into verse 14, in order to match the KJV versification scheme. Viz.
13 Yo tenia muchas cosas que escribir[te:] empero no quiero escribirte por tinta y pluma: 14 Porque espero verte en breve, y hablarémos boca á boca. Paz [sea] contigo. Los amigos te saludan. Saluda tú á los amigos por nombre.
The introduction of Alternate Versification for the next release of the SWORD API should therefore prompt these questions:
- Which existing SWORD modules actually use such a workaround for this verse and in other similar places?
- Were these workarounds done by CrossWire, or found as part of the source text cited in the module info?
If we wish to be faithful to versification of the original translations, all existing SWORD modules should be reviewed. David Haslam 09:00, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
NT book order in Russian and other Slavic translations, as well as those for Central Asia
These translations have the General Epistles placed before the Pauline Epistles.
Book order: Matt, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Jas, 1Pet, 2Pet, 1John, 2John, 3John, Jude, Rom, 1Cor, 2Cor, Gal, Eph, Phil, Col, 1Thess, 2Thess, 1Tim, 2Tim, Titus, Phlm, Heb, Rev
Are there any plans to support this av11n? David Haslam 17:32, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- Please answer my question, someone. We are expecting a formal request to host a module for the Kazakh NT. David Haslam 14:53, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- SynodalProt is the appropriate v11n for this book order. David Haslam 07:40, 24 December 2014 (MST)
Vulg or Vulgate ?
Should a .conf file for the Latin Vulgate use the versification property Vulg or Vulgate ? David Haslam 05:57, 22 June 2011 (MDT)
Versification options for osis2mod
Extracted from the osis2mod $Rev: 3177 $ help prompt:
-v <v11n> specify a versification scheme to use (default is KJV) Note: The following are valid values for v11n: Catholic Catholic2 German KJV KJVA LXX Leningrad Luther MT NRSV NRSVA Orthodox Synodal SynodalProt Vulg
David Haslam 07:38, 24 December 2014 (MST)