[xiphos-users] Which distro should I switch to

landsrobe landsrobe at optonline.net
Tue May 25 07:48:46 EDT 2021

On Mint 20.1, the standard repo package was slow and buggy until I fixed the display drivers (proprietary). Now very fast and bug free. Steve RobertsSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: garywk <garyk1953 at charter.net> Date: 5/24/21  4:08 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Xiphos users <xiphos-users at crosswire.org> Subject: Re: [xiphos-users] Which distro should I switch to On Sun, 2021-05-23 at 19:33 -0400, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:I don't run Ubuntu.  I run Devuan.  ppa packages would cause far more problems on my system than they would solve.  I wouldn't consider Ubuntu anymore than I would consider going back to Debian, which I ran for about 20 years because of systemd.  I know why the editor was dropped.  I just couldn't recall the name of the package off the top of my head that caused all the problems.  I find it interesting that Fedora still packages the gtkhtml packages as i believe almost all other distros have dropped them.  Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it.On 5/23/21 6:59 PM, garywk wrote:I just checked the Fedora package list and theXiphos version number in it is the same version number I have in Devuanwhich is a descendant of Debian just like Ubuntu is.  So it would be awaste to switch distros because you're going to run into the sameissues.   The reason the stock Ubuntu release lacks the editor is because Ubuntu has stopped shipping the gtkhtml packages, within which the editor is implemented.  There is an Ubuntu PPA in which gtkhtml is re-introduced and the studypad should be functional, essentially stepping sideways around Ubuntu's lack. You can see this in the releases page. Being a Fedora person, I don't experiment much in Ubuntu, and Fedora still ships gtkhtml.  The editor has always been a major PITA and it has been alarmingly difficult for a long time to develop the motivation to re-implement it elsehow. We have had discussion now and again in the devel list about it, to no resolution so far. Regrets._______________________________________________xiphos-users mailing listxiphos-users at crosswire.orghttp://crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/xiphos-users