[xiphos-users] Which distro should I switch to

garrison21 garrison21 at protonmail.com
Mon May 24 08:40:14 EDT 2021

Just thought I'd throw my Ubuntu solution for Xiphos in here, it has been working well for me for over a year now, there are a few extra steps but it seems stable. I use the personal commentary feature a lot so just installing ppa:pkgcrosswire/ppa, because Ubuntu, leaves out the editor so alongside the ppa I installed the flatpak with a few extra commands to make it share folders.

(Ubuntu 20.04)

1. sudo apt install flatpak
2. flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
3. sudo apt install gconf-defaults-service (seems to need this to function right)

-Restart your computer-

4. flatpak install flathub org.xiphos.Xiphos

In the GUI: (skip this step if you have already installed via the PPA as it creates these folders automatically)

5. create in your home folder the folder .sword
6. create in your home folder the folder .xiphos
7. create in the .xiphos folder a folder called tabs

In the terminal: (use your own username in the following commands)

8. sudo flatpak override org.xiphos.Xiphos --filesystem=/home/jacob/.xiphos
9. sudo flatpak override org.xiphos.Xiphos --filesystem=/home/jacob/.xiphos/tabs
10. sudo flatpak override org.xiphos.Xiphos --filesystem=/home/jacob/.sword

11. flatpak run org.xiphos.Xiphos

On the first initialization there are some gtkbuttonbox errors but they seem to cause no issues, it will then say something about the tabs document not working right, just ignore, then once Xiphos has launched go to “File”, “Save Session”, and to finish just add the icon to your favorites. The override commands gives Xiphos access to its standard folders, instead of sand-boxed folders which makes it way easier to manage modules, also if you already have modules installed in the PPA version they will be automatically picked up in the flatpak version this way.

https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/

https://www.flathub.org/apps/details/org.xiphos.Xiphos