[xiphos-users] Which distro should I switch to

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sun May 23 19:33:38 EDT 2021

On 5/23/21 6:59 PM, garywk wrote:
> I just checked the Fedora package list and the
> Xiphos version number in it is the same version number I have in Devuan
> which is a descendant of Debian just like Ubuntu is.  So it would be a
> waste to switch distros because you're going to run into the same
> issues.

The reason the stock Ubuntu release lacks the editor is because Ubuntu
has stopped shipping the gtkhtml packages, within which the editor is
implemented.

There is an Ubuntu PPA
<https://launchpad.net/~pkgcrosswire/+archive/ubuntu/ppa> in which
gtkhtml is re-introduced and the studypad should be functional,
essentially stepping sideways around Ubuntu's lack. You can see this in
the releases page <https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/releases/>. Being
a Fedora person, I don't experiment much in Ubuntu, and Fedora still
ships gtkhtml.

The editor has always been a major PITA and it has been alarmingly
difficult for a long time to develop the motivation to re-implement it
elsehow. We have had discussion now and again in the devel list about
it, to no resolution so far. Regrets.