[xiphos-users] New maps module, FreeBibleMaps, Xiphos repo

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Fri May 1 11:53:56 MST 2020

On 4/26/20 9:49 AM, garrison21 wrote:
> Xiphos is no longer available through apt, Synaptic, or Gnome Software

Fundamental problem is that Xiphos still relies on the gtkhtml-editor
package for its editor.  The gtkhtml packages are in general very old
and deprecated, yet the replacement interfaces for GTK built-in editors
are ... seriously suboptimal, and that's being more than kind. Ubuntu in
particular removed gtkhtml packages some time ago, and consequently
Xiphos has not been (directly) buildable there since.  I had understood
that someone had produced a nasty patch that essentially removed the
editor, just to keep it alive in Ubuntu, but I gather that this is no
longer available.

On the devel list, recently we have begun discussing editor replacement
strategies.  It is very likely that something will be done about this in
the next month or two, if either I can do it directly or I can convince
a couple other well-minded folks to attack the problem.

As things stand right now, we are about to release 4.2.0 this weekend.
The editor has not changed, so it will be no benefit in Ubuntu but I
believe we have new momentum toward improving Xiphos.