[xiphos-devel] failed github auto-build

Daniel Maxson vagus.eques at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 08:54:46 EST 2022

Hey! Long-time lurker, first-time reply-er. It looks like this is in some
way related to PyYAML deprecating directly calling load() without a Loader
because of security concerns (although that was back in 2020 so I'm
surprised this is only coming up now):
https://github.com/yaml/pyyaml/wiki/PyYAML-yaml.load(input)-Deprecation

My proposal would be that rather than curling this build script, a build
script be brought into the Xiphos project (which for consistency/ease could
mean simply copying the currently curled script, which is fair game since
both mate-desktop from which this script is taken and Xiphos are licensed
under GPLv2) which calls yaml.load with a specific loader. FullLoader is
the default recommended by PyYAML in the documentation I linked.

Unless (a) someone thinks this is undesirable or (b) wants to do this, I
wouldn't mind taking a stab at updating the broken PR (though I'd be
surprised if this doesn't come up in other places since I don't see a
direct correlation between #1103's changes and this). I would plan to test
against Ubuntu in WSL which should be good enough to cover what needs
covering to make sure this builds for non-Windows systems.