[xiphos-devel] why produce tar files?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun May 10 23:55:17 MST 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 1:23 AM Caleb Maclennan <caleb at alerque.com> wrote:

> Because the Git generated archive of the raw repository contents is not
> the same contents as the generated source packages. Specifically the former
> has no information about what version it is. The two ways to get this
> information are to have git history (i.e. you can use a clone of the
> repository to build) or to have a source build that has this generated
> information present (i.e. our generated version specific tarballs that have
> the relevant information cached inside).

I do want to say: it's a bit of a nuisance to do testing this way, though.
In order to generate a source tar, I have to successfully run CMake against
the tree, which means I need all the devel dependencies installed on my
machine. It's not impossible, but it is a bit of a pain. I'm all in favor
of the CPack generators for Windows installers, but it's not terribly
convenient for the source tar generation.

--Greg