[xiphos-devel] 4.2.0 tagged and pushed

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Mon May 4 04:53:08 MST 2020

> What do you need for support of a PPA?

Having fairly recently setup a PPA for SILE
(https://launchpad.net/~sile-typesetter/+archive/ubuntu/sile) off the
top of my head setting it up will go something like this:

* A Launchpad account (better yet, a team with a couple of authorized people)
* Add an a xiphos archive (this will be the PPA)
* Add a xiphos project (this is for the debian packaging code)
* Add a gtkhtml project (for debian packaging code) (or find one, this
may exist already)
* Somehow obtain Ubuntu systems you want to target, this can be bare
metal, virtual machine, or container — I used LXC but Docker or Podman
should be fine)
* Setup SSH & GPG keys in on the build system (packages in PPAs must be signed)

Then for each of the two projects that will be compiled and put into the PPA:
* Extract a source release of the app
* Extract the relevant project code into the source dir
* Setup the debian folder with a control file, rules, and a changelog
* Add, commit, and push the debian tooling to the Launchpad project
* Run a build-source command that combines the upstream app source and
debian packaging into a combined tarball plus a changes file and a
signature
* Use a command that uploads the above generated resources to the PPA

Then to update in the future:
* Roughly the same as the per-app steps above, but instead of having
to setup the Debian tooling it will be mostly ready to go you just
bump the changelog to trigger a new build.

I'd be happy to help with this if you want me to get it rolling.