[xiphos-devel] that blasted editor

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 02:53:40 MST 2020

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 2:40 AM Dominique Corbex <dominique at corbex.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 18:32:31 -0500
> Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If formatting is really our concern, maybe we abandon HTML editing
> > altogether? Perhaps a MarkDown compatible editor that will wriggle back
> and
> > forth to the HTML displays in a text?
>
> > I would strongly suggest considering that.
>
> +1
>
> I'm using marker myself
> https://github.com/fabiocolacio/Marker

I had seen that. It doesn't have any helper buttons, but I imagine we could
add one for the most basic things:

Going through the editor UI as it currently exists:

* Bold/italic/underline/strikethrough are pretty simple in Markdown
* Headings are easy
* Insert an image is also very straightforward.
* Font color/size is a bit harder
* Horizontal rule is very simple as well
* Links are pretty trivial

Tables are the only one that's moderately complex that we currently have
but wouldn't have in Markdown.

Going from MD to HTML is easy. Lots of markdown libraries exist. CMake
seems one that's already packaged for Fedora and has official MinGW build
support, so putting together a package for it seems trivial.
https://github.com/commonmark/cmark

Making the trip back from HTML to MD is a bit more complicated. There is
pandoc (https://pandoc.org/) which is written in Haskell and has a C
binding that supports ALL THE FORMATS and includes the ability to go both
directions. It does build for Windows - there are official builds released
by the pandoc folk. There is no reason to suspect a cross-compile chain
couldn't be created, but that's a lot of moving parts to put together.
Maybe it's best to include a working binary and pass temp files to it,
rather than try to include it as a library?

--Greg