[xiphos-devel] that blasted editor

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:32:31 MST 2020

If formatting is really our concern, maybe we abandon HTML editing
altogether? Perhaps a MarkDown compatible editor that will wriggle back and
forth to the HTML displays in a text?

It gives the full power of most formatting choices people would want while
not limiting the full power of HTML (you can include HTML in line in a
MarkDown document and it "just works" because md has a completely different
set of special characters but spits out HTML without escaping special
characters).

It's also very easy to convert and to read. I imagine it would be easy to
whip up an editor. And a "preview" is as easy as running text through the
processing lib and dropping it into a WebKit viewer. Observe comments on
Github that have an edit and a preview pane that are just a click apart.

It's also much more "casual user" friendly than popping open vi/vim
(default value of $EDITOR on most Linux systems). You keep consistency of
UX with the current built in editor. Libraries are very minimal and so
likely to be cross platform compatible. You can bake an editor right into a
GtkTextView or GtkSourceView with a few triggers for
bold/italics/list/quote.

I would strongly suggest considering that.

--Greg