[xiphos-devel] back from the dead

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 20:18:02 MST 2020

If you'd like to cry into your soup at some point, I can tell you about
what I've discovered about the state of our WebKit2 editor. Which becomes
increasingly important as more distros drop GtkHTML altogether.

In the past 3-4 releases of webkit2gtk they've moved all DOM access code
out of the main thread, so you can't even do what we do anymore. The
methods are still there, but only for the headers to a separate plugin
library to the webkit engine which you must preload before you initialize
any webkit components. What remains nebulous according to all the docs is
how to get information back and forth between the main application and the
plugin (seems you have to communicate over DBus or a similar mechanism for
systems that don't support DBus). This is drive by them moving webkit out
of the application's thread and into a subprocess of its own that
communicates back and forth with the application's GUI thread. This is
similar to how Chrome/Chromium/Blink operate and it's one way to prevent
bad things happening in the web component from happening in the main
application.

But it's gonna require some amount of ugly hackery to get that editor
working, now.

--Greg