[xiphos-devel] totally lost -- how did i get to where i am?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Apr 16 09:21:14 MST 2018

On 04/15/2018 09:41 PM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> I am in serious need of a huge clue. Anyone?

I did git reset back to the 4.0.7 release. I still get no prefs dialog.
Whatever has gone wrong is somehow environmental in my system.

If I stuff up my own dummy routine in preferences_dialog.c...

GVolumeMonitor *g_volume_monitor_get(void) { return NULL; }

...I get lots of...

(xiphos:16044): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
(xiphos:16044): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_object:
assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

...plus a bunch of...

(xiphos:16044): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_volume_monitor_get_mounts:
assertion 'G_IS_VOLUME_MONITOR (volume_monitor)' failed
(xiphos:16044): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **:
g_volume_monitor_get_connected_drives: assertion 'G_IS_VOLUME_MONITOR
(volume_monitor)' failed

...but no functional change.

If I take that out and instead insert a similar dummy for
g_unix_volume_monitor_init(), I stop getting all the warnings but the
behavior (no dialog) is the same.

What has started asking for "volume monitoring," why has it begun in the
last 48 hours, how does it affect signal connections, and why can't I
get around it to see a prefs dialog? And why doesn't it affect any other
window's creation?

This is the Xiphos developers' list. /*Are there any actual developers
here, or am I talking to a wall?*/