[tyndale-devel] Registration at STEP

David Instone-Brewer Technical at Tyndale.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 02:35:27 MST 2011

Dear Chris
>    * free use online
>    * some functionality online requires registration (e.g. storage
> of personal data, notes/bookmarks)
>    * free download
>    * installation process offers to create online account because
> online version has more features
>    * registration for the account requires email address/password
> and country/name, perhaps as optional (i don't mind either way)
>    * opt-out for email notifications
>    * Build in software and data update notification with a link to
> a page that explains what is being updated (can be disabled in the
> system settings but on by default, although need to think about
> access to the internet in sensitive countries - i.e. don't want to
> send people to prison because they didn't know their software was
> accessing the internet)
All sounds good to me - couple of suggestions:
* the collection of email address with optional name+country could be
at the initial download stage
  (eg "we will send a download link to you by email")
* the opt-out for emails is a blanket one - updates and all.
   This is because what my boss wants (I'm fairly sure) is a way to
increase the number of people he can legitimately send newsletters to.
   I don't think this will be burdensome for anyone because, by law,
each newsletter has an unsubscribe for the newsletters, so those who
find they aren't interested will only have received one unwanted
email. Thereafter they would only get the other emails.
* as you say, the country a person volunteers to tell us is more
accurate than the IP number. But we could use the IP number as a
backup. The small proportion which are masked don't matter.  * Mind
you, it might matter if masking makes us assume they are in the USA
and actually they are in a sensitive area and we send something to an
email inappropriately., so:
   Perhaps we should include a tickable box for "I live in a
sensitive situation so please do not send anything which is
identifiably Christian to this email address."

Did I suggest anything shouldn't be free? I certainly didn't mean to.
Good point about being able to stop silent updates. Some people live
in a dangerous world.

I've cc'd this to our STEP email box

David IB