[sword-devel] Catholic versification

Michael Johnson kahunapule at eBible.org
Sat Jan 20 10:51:59 EST 2024

Even better than per-book versification, I think that per-translation
versification makes more sense. That way, no change to the code would
need to be made to tweak the versification yet again. No matter how many
versifications we define, someone will find or invent another one.

On 1/20/24 06:06, Michael H wrote:
> In my limited study of 'Fixing' versification (meaning parallel
> display across versification...)
>
> Can I recommend revamp to support an additional 'BOOK' level
> versification.  This would pretty much eliminate the need for (yet)
> another versification system, if each book rather than module could
> name its own versification.
>
> So for Cyrille's example the module is 'catholic' (for all 70ish)
> books, but Esther is book versified to 'cath2' or whatever already
> matches it.
>

> On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 7:00 AM Fr Cyrille <fr.cyrille at tiberiade.be>
> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>     Recently a person interested in the Catholic bible in French told me
>     about the mapping problems between Catholic versification and the
>     kjva
>     concerning Esther. So I'm bringing up the question of a new Catholic
>     versification that could better deal with this kind of problem and at
>     the same time incorporate some of the errors in current Catholic
>     versifications. I should mention that two versifications for French
>     Bibles have been added since my proposal for a new Catholic
>     versification, which was made long before these versifications were
>     added, and which was not favorably received at the time. In our case,
>     the number of Bibles that follow this versification is simply
>     enormous,
>     since the majority of Catholic Bibles do. I would also add that
>     the LXX
>     versification is not entirely correct. There are no LXX today that
>     put
>     16 chapters to Esther. Ralph's already uses letters to integrate
>     Greek
>     passages into the text.
>     In fact, Catholic versification simply follows Ralph's. So I suggest
>     that we seriously reopen this question with concrete suggestions.
>     For my part, the suggestion is simple: convert the numbers in the
>     Greek
>     passages into verses and offset the numbered verses in the same
>     chapters. I'll copy you on what that might look like.
>
>     Br Cyrille_______________________________________________
>     Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

signature

Aloha,
*/Michael Johnson/**
26 HIWALANI LOOP • MAKAWAO HI 96768-8747*• USA
mljohnson.org <https://mljohnson.org/> • eBible.org <https://eBible.org>
• WorldEnglish.Bible <https://WorldEnglish.Bible> • PNG.Bible
<https://PNG.Bible>
Signal/Telegram/WhatsApp/Telephone: +1 808-333-6921
Skype: kahunapule • Telegram/Twitter: @kahunapule • Facebook:
fb.me/kahunapule <https://www.facebook.com/kahunapule>