[sword-devel] Catholic versification / inter-versification mappings

Arnaud Vié unas.zole+avie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 10:09:48 EST 2024

Thank you for your interest and your time !
And thanks Troy for your valuable historical explanation.

However, I can't help but feel that you all are underestimating the power
of OSIS !
Your are splitting the use cases of "rendering a bible mostly as it was
published" versus "making a bible searchable accurately for bible study and
research", as if we had to choose one and neglect the other.
These use cases are both equally valid, but the good news is that OSIS is
already a (mostly) perfect format to handle both at the same time.
That's part of the reason why I fell in love with the format and believe
it's worth maintaining.

In particular, some cases Michael mentions :

Chapter and verse "numbers" aren't always pure numbers. Letters get
> involved in the Deuterocanon/Apocrypha.

Here, OSIS already provides a distinction between :

   - The OSIS ID, which is a "technical" ID supposed to be a unique
   identifier for the book/verse/chapter. On this, OSIS imposes a constrained
   format and structure because applications will need to process it.
   - The published number (the verse or chapter's "n" attribute) which is a
   free text, allowing to preserve the numbering from the published document.

In fact USFM provides a similar distinction between the "v" and "vp", "c"
and "cp" keywords.
You can check the example in my first email about the proposed Catholic3
versification
<http://crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2024-January/049928.html> for
an example : it's perfectly fine to have an OSIS ID "Esth.3.20" for a verse
that is labelled as "13G" in the published document, because the OSIS ID is
technical.
The OSIS ID should be used almost exclusively for this need of referencing
and mapping verses between different translations ; in an ideal world, the
OSIS ID shouldn't even be visible to end users (even though I know that's
not currently the case).
The "n" attributes are what should be presented to the users when reading a
bible.

Verse bridges (like verse 1-3 with everything from verses 1 through 3 but
> possibly rearranged and with no other verse markings within them) are very
> common.

OSIS already natively supports its, without any changes to versifications :
it allows several OSIS IDs on a single tag explicitly for this purpose.
(section "15.4. Grouping" of the OSIS manual)
So it's perfectly valid to define verses 1,2,3 in the versification, and
then have one single "verse" element with all of these IDs at once for this
use case. This "verse" tag can then provide an n="1-3" attribute to
preserve the published document notation.

My proposal for a new way of defining versifications aims purely at
improving the mapping feature - the same one that Troy relies on for bible
study and research.
It has no impact on the "presentation" side of things - because of these
existing OSIS features I mentioned above which already allow preserving the
original text's numbering.
The "principle 1" of my proposal in the other thread is the core of what a
versification system should be : a versification system should assign a
unique ID to identify a verse's contents (what I called the "meaning" of
the verse in my proposal), so that this ID can be used to reference or map
the equivalent or related text in other bibles.
That's where the current versification system is problematic, because many
bibles do not fit exactly into one of the default versifications, and they
have no way of building a "custom" versification. That's the problem I'm
trying to solve.