[sword-devel] FYI: A source for the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon

Timothy Allen thristian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 04:43:36 EDT 2023

I see on the Module Requests wiki page[1] that one of the requested
modules is the unabridged Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon. There's
already a "BDBGlosses_Strongs" module in the Crosswire repository, based
on the Open Scriptures Hebrew Bible Hebrew Lexicon[2], but it appears to
be an abridged version.

I've discovered an openly-licensed (CC-BY) digital copy of the
unabridged text that seems promising, at
<https://github.com/unfoldingWord/Brown-Driver-Briggs-Enhanced/>. The
text is stored in HTML with lots of semantic markup, so it should be
practical to reformat it nicely to different conventions. The main
obstacle with this version (so far as I can tell) is that only English
and Hebrew text is in the HTML, words in other languages (Arabic,
Syriac, Ethiopic, Aramaic, Samaritan, Persian etc.) have not been
transcribed and are just images. Still, it seems rich enough to be worth
trying to convert it to a SWORD module.

[1]: https://wiki.crosswire.org/Module_Requests#Lexicons

[2]: https://github.com/openscriptures/HebrewLexicon

Timothy.