[sword-devel] CrossWire and git

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 18:21:45 EDT 2023

I'm attaching a Python file that gives a basic go at parsing the access
file into a GitHub CODEOWNERS file, along with the output I get from it.
It's not flawless, but it does properly transform group names to
"@crosswire/group-name". It also assumes users have the same username
between Crosswire and GitHub. Obviously a search/replace can account for
that where it proves false.

There is obviously plenty of room to simplify this, as it assumes all files
are anchored to the root of the repository, and that does not have to be
the case for CODEOWNERS. (e.g. /CMakeLists.txt will only apply to the file
in the root of the repository whereas CMakeLists.txt would apply to a file
with that name anywhere in the repo) However, it _should_ get us 99% of the
way there.

Note that the CODEOWNERS_files.txt includes an output for every one of the
repos mentioned in your access file that you'd need to copy and paste out.
Feel free to modify the script I've attached and run it with
`access-to-codeowners.py access` as the argument. It can take arbitrarily
many inputs or can have the access file piped to it if you want to
pre-process in some way (e.g. by something like `sed -e
s/scribe/scribe777/g`).

--Greg