[sword-devel] Identifying ketiv/qere in OSIS Bible modules that already have Strong's numbers

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Sat Jul 22 04:19:24 EDT 2023

Another question for the SWORD developers...

This concerns modules for Bible translations rather than modules for the Hebrew Bible per se (such as the WLC, MAPM, OSHB, etc.)

Bible modules such as our 'flagship' KJV include OSIS markup for Strong's Hebrew numbers.

Currently, these have no additional information to indicate where the Strong's H-number is for a Qere or Ketiv.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qere_and_Ketiv

Our wiki page for OSIS Bibles gives no further guidance on this topic.
https://wiki.crosswire.org/OSIS_Bibles

In places with both a Ketiv and Qere in the Hebrew, the Strong's number of the KJV is often simply repeated, as Strong's dictionary is generally based upon the consonantal form of Hebrew words and word-stems.

In the few places with a Ketiv but no Qere
and the few places with a Qere but no Ketiv
there's also no indication in the OSIS markup!

What might be a sensible way to identify when a Strong's number is for a Ketiv or a Qere?

Best regards,

David

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.