[sword-devel] GlobalOptionFilter=OSISExpandAbbreviations ?

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Wed Jul 12 06:17:18 EDT 2023

For SWORD (and JSword) developers to consider.

We have a suggestion for an enhancement to the SWORD engine that front-end developers might like to support eventually.

Specify in the CONF file the following configuration key:

GlobalOptionFilter=OSISAbbreviations

When toggled ON, the front-end should display the text in the expansion attribute in place of the text wrapped by the OSIS abbr element.

The example in the OSIS 2.1.1 Reference Manual is

<abbr expansion="Journal of Biblical Literature">JBL</abbr>

FWIW, DM Smith and I had already begun to make use of this in our eXperimental KJVX module back in 2017.

The first general opportunity to test it could be with the next release of the KJVA module, where (for the time being) only the DC books use an abbreviation "CHAP." in place of "CHAPTER" along with Roman numerals for chapter numbers.

cf. Text items in many note elements of the KJV also employ various abbreviations, including "Heb.", "Gr.", "Chal.", "LXX", "etc.", etc.

A future update to the KJV module will roll out this markup wherever it was deemed potentially useful. It would be a shame to allow this enhancement to remain unused.

Best regards,

David

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.