[sword-devel] HTTPS Transport

Michael Johnson kahunapule at eBible.org
Sat Dec 16 19:11:51 EST 2023

Hi Troy,

Thanks for your work on this. Please add https://ebible.org/sword/ to
the master repository list:

HTTPSPackagePreference=eBible.org|ebible.org|/sword/

I have added a symbolic link from https://eBible.org/sword/packages to
https://eBible.org/sword/zip (which I thought was the standard place for
the zip files). Wouldn't it make more sense to stick with the first
standard?

On 12/16/23 12:11, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> For a while now, we've been working on a new mechanism for allowing a
> remote module installation repository to use only HTTPS traffic to
> supply their modules, if they wish.  A little history and how things
> work in the released SWORD engine and what we have in SVN trunk now...
> (skip to === NEW === if you don't care about the history and why)
>
> From the beginning of SWORD we have had as a core value the simple
> enabling of Bible distribution.  The very first versions of our
> installer could use as an installation source any working installation
> of a SWORD library.  E.g., user 1 sets up Xiphos and manually unzips
> 100 Bibles, commentaries, lexicons, dictionaries, etc. for use with
> Xiphos.  User 1 can then share (network drive, USB stick, FTP) their
> installation folder where they have unzipped all the data for their
> library, and user 2 can come along and install Bibletime or Xiphos or
> any other SWORD application and point their installer to this shared
> location and install from there any Bible, commentary, lexicon,
> dictionary, etc., from user 1's working installation.  Then user 2 can
> travel to their school in Zimbabwe, plug into their school's network
> and share their data folder from their working SWORD application and
> students on that network can install Bibles from them.
>
> None of this has changed.  This is still a core value and still works
> with all the same mechanisms.
>
> Over the years, we have added on top of this behavior optional
> optimizations for remote repositories.  For example, instead of
> looking for the mods.d/ folder and downloading individually all the
> .conf files found there to present to a user a list of which Bibles,
> commentaries, etc. are available, we first look for a mods.d.tar.gz
> file with all the .conf files bundled into a single download.  This
> saves a lot of time working with large remote repositories.  If we
> don't find this file, we still fallback to downloading the individual
> files.  We don't want a failure to happen when passing along Bibles if
> this optimization is not in place, but we do want to speed things up
> if the manager of the remote repository knows how to manage their
> repository optimally and is willing to do this extra work to keep this
> file in place and up to date.
>
> Over the years, the FTP protocol, which SWORD has primarily used for
> remote module installation over the internet, has seen data providers
> block traffic due to its unencrypted nature.  Being Bible
> distributors, in most cases we don't care if anyone snoops on our data
> packets.  Generally, again in most cases, we WANT people to snoop.  We
> don't require user / password for distribution so the security issues
> involved in sending those in plain text don't apply to our
> applications, generally.  Now, of course there are scenarios which
> people may wish to distribute Bibles without public knowledge, and
> [...]
signature

Aloha,
*/Michael Johnson/**
26 HIWALANI LOOP • MAKAWAO HI 96768-8747*• USA
mljohnson.org <https://mljohnson.org/> • eBible.org <https://eBible.org>
• WorldEnglish.Bible <https://WorldEnglish.Bible> • PNG.Bible
<https://PNG.Bible>
Signal/Telegram/WhatsApp/Telephone: +1 808-333-6921
Skype: kahunapule • Telegram/Twitter: @kahunapule • Facebook:
fb.me/kahunapule <https://www.facebook.com/kahunapule>