[sword-devel] OEB information about update?

Michael Johnson Michael at eBible.org
Wed Jul 27 14:26:19 EDT 2022

Thank you, Troy, for the vote of confidence. Yes, I rigorously follow
copyright laws on eBible.org. If I didn't, the Every Tribe Every Nation
Digital Bible Library would not be so welcoming to my organizational
membership. I try wherever possible to negotiate open access licenses so
that most of the eBible.org collection is redistributable, but I do have
some copyrighted texts that I have permission to distribute, but anyone
else would have to get separate permission from the copyright owners.
Those are all documented on the copyright information page associated
with each Bible translation. I also meticulously maintain eBible.org
with updates, corrections, and additions. I will update the OEB and
OEBcth modules on eBible.org.

Also, note that I got a complaint yesterday about a typo in the WEBBE
module. It was corrected long ago in the eBible.org repository, but not
yet in Crosswire main. While I have no problem with Crosswire Main
duplicating any or all of my open access texts, it can become a problem
if some of those fall behind. The World English Bible is now very
stable, but even then, I will correct any obvious typo if found. That is
becoming very rare, though. Still, I have other Bible translations
posted that are in active translation and editing, and I keep up with those.

On 7/27/22 08:00, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Hi Matěj,
>
> I am not sure if you've maybe done this, but don't confuse Michael
> Johnson's eBible repo with eSword. I hope and believe MPJ rigorously
> follows copyright laws for his eBible repo.
>
> Troy
>
> On July 27, 2022 7:33:53 PM GMT+02:00, Fr Cyrille
> <fr.cyrille at tiberiade.be> wrote:
>

>     Le 27/07/2022 à 16:52, Matěj Cepl a écrit :
>>     On 2022-07-27, 14:28 GMT, David Haslam wrote:
>>>     engoebcweb
>>>     engoebuseb
>>>
>>>     We probably don’t need to also host the OEB in the CrossWire repo.
>>     ??? But we have OEB in the Sword:
>>
>>     https://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=OEB
>>     https://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=OEBcth
>>
>>     So, either we should remove it from our repositories or update
>>     it, because it shamefully old (considering continuously
>>     developing nature of OEB).
>>
>>     And there are some people amongst us, who don’t held Ebible.org
>>     repositories in too high regard, because we suspect that they are
>>     playing rather fast and loose with copyright laws. So, I usually
>>     don’t use their Bibles at all, if I don’t have to (and so far, I
>>     don’t).
>     We have many duplicate modules. Personally I also find it
>     counterproductive, and if I had my way I would remove everything
>     present on ebible from Crosswire, as we know the copyright of
>     those are sure. The first reason is that ebible modules are
>     extremely well maintained.
>     So I'm in favor of removing those modules.
>>     Best,
>>
>>     Matěj
>
> -- Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

signature

Aloha,
*/Michael Johnson/**
26 HIWALANI LOOP • MAKAWAO HI 96768-8747*• USA
mljohnson.org <https://mljohnson.org/> • eBible.org <https://eBible.org>
• WorldEnglish.Bible <https://WorldEnglish.Bible> • PNG.Bible
<https://PNG.Bible>
Signal/Telegram/WhatsApp/Telephone: +1 808-333-6921
Skype: kahunapule • Telegram/Twitter: @kahunapule • Facebook:
fb.me/kahunapule <https://www.facebook.com/kahunapule>