[sword-devel] Efficiently extracting section + chapter headers

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Sat Jan 8 03:15:18 EST 2022

Hi Troy,

Thank you so much for looking into this!

setIntros is not available on SWModule, but only on SWKey.

I suppose the setIntros must be used like this?

SWKey*key= module->getKey();
VerseKey*verseKey= SWDYNAMIC_CAST(VerseKey, key);
ListKeyscope= verseKey->parseVerseList(bookCode, *verseKey, true);
ListKeyresultKey= module->search("/Heading", 

When I did that I still did not get the chapter headings, though.

Best regards,

On 1/7/22 3:44 PM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Dear Tobias,
> I haven't had a chance to dig into this yet, but my first guess is 
> that you may be missing the intro slots from the module.
> VerseKey modules have intro entries:
> for the chapter if you set verse to 0
> for the book, if you set chapter to 0
> for the testament, if you set book to 0
> for the module, if you set testament to 0
> You'll need to module->setIntros(true) if you want to access these.
> Actually, maybe even just try setIntros(true) before your headings 
> search. The content in these entries is likely marked up as headings, 
> as well. For your purposes, you'll need to decide if you want anything 
> in these entries. They might be a long book introduction. The presence 
> of intro entries, length, and type of content varies greatly between 
> modules.
> Hope this give something to try,
> Troy
> On January 6, 2022 9:41:31 AM MST, Tobias Klein <contact at tklein.info> 
> wrote:
>     Hi Troy,
>     I have started looking again into extracting book headings, so that I
>     can generate a book outline in Ezra Bible App even when looking at
>     individual chapters only. I had stopped looking at it when I was not
>     successfully generating a Windows build any longer last year - but I
>     could fix that, so now the work continues.
>     I based my code on your example findHeadings.cpp.
>     It seems like the list of extracted headings is not complete, though.
>     When running this with the module GerNeUe and the book Acts I find that
>     the headers returned are only section headers, but not chapter headers.
>     Could you have another look based on the example and GerNeUe/Acts and
>     advise?
>     I have attached a list of headers that I get from the Bible text of
>     GerNeUe/Acts - just for reference.
>     Best regards,
>     Tobias
>     On 4/12/21 9:07 PM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>         Sure Tobias, module->getEntryAttributes() will allow you to
>         pull the headings from a verse, and an Entry Attributes search
>         for '/Heading' will give you only the verses with Heading
>         entries attributes. I've thrown together a quick example here,
>         which you can use with something like: ./showHeadings NASB
>         Matt-John which will give you the headings from the Gospels.
>         https://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/examples/tasks/findHeadings.cpp
>         <https://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/examples/tasks/findHeadings.cpp>
>         Creating this example, I found I needed to fix a bug in the
>         engine.  The engine Entry Attributes search lets you search
>         for values in the entry attributes (e.g., a Strong's number
>         1234).  In your use case, when searching, you don't care about
>         the value; you only care about presence.  This wasn't working,
>         but simple presence can now be searched for with my latest
>         commit. Hope this helps, Troy On 4/12/21 9:31 AM, Tobias Klein
>         wrote:
>             Hi, I have been getting a request from a user to render
>             section headings independently of the currently opened
>             bible translation module. So for example when opening the
>             KJV still using the section/chapter headers of the NASB.
>             This would be useful in those cases when the respective
>             bible translation module does not come with
>             section/chapter headers, but another one does. A
>             requirement would be to efficiently extract
>             section/chapter headers from a module using the SWORD API.
>             As of now I only see that you can iterate over the verses
>             of a book and individually scan each verse for the
>             headers. Is there a more efficient way of doing that?
>             Another use case could be to render a book outline. This
>             is what I am already doing now in Ezra, but in a way that
>             is not so clean (I am traversing the DOM looking for all
>             section header elements of the current book). Best
>             regards, Tobias
>             ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>             sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
>             http://crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
>             <http://crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel>
>             Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above
>             page 
>         ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
>         http://crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
>         <http://crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel>
>         Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page 
> -- Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/attachments/20220108/8355c0fd/attachment.html>

More information about the sword-devel mailing list