[sword-devel] Windows Development

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:39:03 EDT 2021

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 4:26 PM John Dudeck <john.dudeck at sim.org> wrote:

> As a Sword content developer, but not a Sword software developer per se, I
> need to be able to do Sword content development on Windows. Not because I
> dislike Linux, but because I have created in-house Perl tools for a
> publishing team that uses Windows workstations and is not able or inclined
> to add Linux workstations for Sword content development, when everything
> else we do is on Windows. Mainly what we do is develop French content as a
> contractor for Logos, then also generate Sword modules from the Logos XML
> targeted for AndBible. (We also publish print and epub books).
>
> Theoretically I guess we could use WSL, but it would have to be easy to
> get it set up, and work seamlessly with our Windows-based workflow.

WSL is crazy easy and I highly suggest you use it. WSL2 is even better. I,
personally, run Fedora in there but it is side-loaded through a
custom-built script. Getting Ubuntu out of the Windows Store is silly
simple and you can leverage it from there. I don't know the state of Sword
packaging, but building from source in WSL is just as easy as it is on
full-fledged Linux.

> All that we need and want are the Windows command-line versions of the
> Sword tools, mostly just osis2mod.exe, tei2mod.exe and xml2gbs.exe, without
> having to whine and wait for somebody to generate them with each new tools
> revision. I don't have the time or desire to do the Win32 cross-builds on
> Linux. We don't care whether the exe's are built from C, C++, C#, Visual
> Basic, FORTRAN, Java, IBM360 Assembler, .Net Whatever™, or are 32 or 64
> bit. Just that they work on Windows, work correctly, and that bug fixes
> arrive in a timely manner.

These are automatically created on GitHub whenever I push a version tag
there. They've been available up there for quite some time, and anyone with
the ability to run the basic tools necessary can get them there.
https://github.com/devroles/mingw_sword_package

--Greg