[sword-devel] #bibletime is now on irc.oftc.net

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu May 20 17:42:47 EDT 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021, 13:46 refdoc at gmx.net <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> I think the problem will be to find something with similar longevity,
> simplicity and ease to IRC. Does this even exist?

That really depends on how we see "ease of use"? I find it ponderously
difficult to use IRC in my daily flow. Especially as I frequently rebuild
and reimage machines and need to either backup or reconfigure my client
config every time. A non technical user might find it hilariously difficult
to find us on Freenode or elsewhere.

If we're going to discuss moving, we should define what we want the
platform to be. Is it a place for users to find us? Then it should have
unauthenticated, web access. Is it a place for developers and admins to
congregate for high value communication? It should support notifications
and server side persistent messages. Do we also want it to support VOIP?
Video calls? Screen sharing?

Does it need to be self hosted? Does it need to be libre or is gratis
enough?

Before we decide on a tech, if we're making a change, then we should define
our wants and needs.

--Greg