[sword-devel] LXX module distributed as public domain ?

Bastian Germann bastiangermann at fishpost.de
Mon May 10 13:40:15 EDT 2021

Am 10.05.21 um 18:25 schrieb pierre amadio:
> I mentionned the source used by crosswire for the LXX module and the
> author of the post think the source document may not be released under
> a public domain copyright (although it grant permission to
> redistribute the data for non commercial purpose):
>

> http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxmorph/0-user-declaration.txt
>
> """
> (1) Not to use or make available these materials for commercial purposes without
> first obtaining the written consent of the owners/encoders;
> """
> Crosswire mention the LXX module is public domain:
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=LXX
>
> Should it be something else than "public domain" so that it reflect
> the non commercial restriction ?
I think so. The "About" section of the sword module was copied verbatim from the module's source
http://www.bcbsr.com/topics/olb.html and contains: "The Analytic Septuagint is not to be used,
either directly or indirectly, for commercial purposes without prior written consent of Steve Amato
and the legal authors and developers of the morphology of the LXXM identified below."

As this section is kept, the public domain claim is obviously false.