[sword-devel] SWORD Meet 2021

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Mon Mar 29 08:09:45 EDT 2021

Thanks everyone for the venue suggestions and kind offers of accommodation.

Firstly to record my interest.

My daughter and her family now live in Tennessee, and I’ve yet to plan a first visit to their new home, once international travel restrictions are lifted. Contemplating the further possibility to use the Nashville area as a return base for internal flights to visit several of my friends in the USA.

Secondly to suggest Greater Manchester as another potential venue for a European meet-up. My house is now less than twenty minutes from Manchester Airport by a recently extended dual carriageway. I can readily offer to accommodate a number of visitors. It’s within easy distance of many beauty spots in Cheshire and Derbyshire, with the Peak District a favourite for walkers and outstanding scenery.
Manchester University also has the John Rylands Library. North Wales is only just over an hour away by road, and in two hours or so you can be in Snowdonia or on the promenade at Llandudno. Hawarden in Flintshire is the location of Gladstone’s Library, which will not be reopening after Covid until September. It’s the only residential library in Great Britain.

Thirdly to mention two more bigger conference opportunities.

The annual EMDC conference has occasionally been used as a time to have the pre-conference Digital Bible Summit. I attended the one in Germany during April 2012 and met a lot of folk from other Bible agencies and missions. It was during the 2012 Summit that the Digital Bible Library was in the progress of being officially launched and expanded. EMDC = Eurasian Media Distribution Conference. And to remind everyone, CrossWire is now a member of the DBL. Three of us had some online training sessions twelve months ago.

The annual conference called ICCM has met in a number of different venues in both America, Europe and Asia.
ICCM = International Conference on Computers and Missions. I attended one in the Netherlands in 2010.

I’m also reserving a date in mid-September to revisit Cambridge for an Annual Gathering of alumni at Trinity College.
It’s a long while since I last attended one, and this year covers my matriculation year as well as the ones before and after.
I too have friends at Tyndale House, that would be good to take the opportunity to visit.

Best regards,

David

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS