[sword-devel] InstallMgr Woes

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Feb 5 13:39:20 EST 2021

Hi Greg,

I few quick comments and thoughts...

So, regarding the commandline tool and option: installmgr -init

This simply does:

                SWBuf baseDir = FileMgr::getSystemFileMgr()->getHomeDir();
                if (baseDir.length() < 1) baseDir = ".";
                baseDir += "/.sword/InstallMgr";
                confPath = baseDir + "/InstallMgr.conf";

So, regarding its own configuration and temporary storage, it always
uses, basically ~/.sword/installMgr/

SWORD_PATH should be honored regarding WHERE to finally install modules,
but they will first always be downloaded to ~/.sword/installMgr and once
a successful download is completely, the install to SWORD_PATH should
happen.

Also, SWORD has a long list of rules it uses to find your SWORD library,
each with precedence.  For example, a SWORD library detected in you CWD
is highest priority.  i.e., be sure you aren't running the command from
a folder which has a mods.conf file or mods.d/ folder or it will think
you wish to operate on your CWD.  And on the positive side, try to cd
~/.sword and run installmgr (assuming a ~/.sword/mods.d/ folder
exists).  You shouldn't have to set SWORD_PATH for installmgr to install
to ~/.sword if it is your CWD.

I am curious that you got it working without /etc/sword.conf entries.

You can always see the rules used to determine your library location by
turning log level all the way up:

SWORD_LOGLEVEL=DEBUG ~/src/sword/utilities/installmgr -ri CrossWire KJV

You will get all kinds of noise, but near the top (I would recommend a
tput clear, to reset your scrollback buffer), you should see:

[0.00146] Checking working directory for mods.d...
[0.00146] found.
[0.00147] LOOKING UP MODULE CONFIGURATION COMPLETE.

Just a few things to try experimenting with.

Troy