[sword-devel] Getting info about books, chapters, and verses in a module

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Nov 17 19:33:09 EST 2020

Thank you Tobias,

A few comments below:

On 11/17/20 10:46 AM, Tobias Klein wrote:
> Hi Loren,
>
> This is how I’m doing it in node-sword-interface.
>
> 1) Getting the list of books in a module
>
> vector<string> ModuleHelper::getBookList(string moduleName)
> https://github.com/ezra-project/node-sword-interface/blob/master/src/sword_backend/module_helper.cpp#L70
> <https://github.com/ezra-project/node-sword-interface/blob/master/src/sword_backend/module_helper.cpp#L70>

A small comment, there are different styles of book names:

VerseKey::getBookName()

VerseKey::getBookAbbrev()

VerseKey::getOSISBookName()

The first two are localized to whatever language you have set for the
engine, e.g.,

LocaleMgr::getSystemLocaleMgr()->setDefaultLocaleName("fr");

> 2) Getting a map with the number of verses per chapter per book
>
> std::map<std::string, std::vector<int>>
> getBibleChapterVerseCounts(std::string moduleName);
> https://github.com/ezra-project/node-sword-interface/blob/master/src/sword_backend/module_helper.cpp#L92
> <https://github.com/ezra-project/node-sword-interface/blob/master/src/sword_backend/module_helper.cpp#L92>

I am note sure I condone this behavior here :)  If you found a need to
do something like this because you couldn't easily use the suggestions
below, please let me know and maybe we can fix something or extend
functionality to meet your needs.

If you ever want to know how many Books, Chapters, Verses, etc. are
available in a reference system, these should serve that purpose:

VerseKey::getTestamentMax()

VerseKey::getBookMax(), once you set the testament

VerseKey::getChapterMax(), once you set the book

VerseKey::getVerseMax(), once you set the chapter

Please remember that each module might give different results, and
creating a VerseKey object without specifying a reference system will
create a KJV VerseKey.  If you want the module-specific reference
system, it is always good to do as your first example does and grab the
current key, or use SWModule::createKey() to create a key specialized
for the module-- which you'll need to delete when you are done using.

Hope this helps.  Thanks for the comments!

There's an example here which goes into some of this and covers other
things like VerseKey ranges:

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/examples/classes/lastVerseInChapter.cpp

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/examples/classes/verseranges.cpp

Troy