[sword-devel] language (IANA 4646 and IANA 5646)

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Sat May 23 15:31:14 MST 2020

Hi,

I'm seeking to differentiate English from itself.

And in chasing it back to specs, I'm at IANA 4646/5646 and stuck in the
mud. IANA4646/5646 was previously IANA RFC3066 and IANA RFC1766.

https://www.iana.org/protocols  - See the "language tags" section, starting
with the last item RFC4646 in that section.

It seems that there's IANA logic in Crosswire. But the wiki only mentions
639 specs. It would be nice to see the full IANA RFC4646 is supported. IANA
now includes script and dialect definitions, which especially for ebible
seem appropriate to include into the standards for conf files, possibly at
least for excluding incompatible modules.

What I want to do is segregate BASIC English at multiple levels of
complexity from English and American.  However IANA also has Early modern
English (1500-1850) and Oxford English categories that may be of
interest, But I'm unclear how "British" English is separate from "Oxford"
English.

*Stuck in the mud.*

But the registry seems to be JSON? and doesn't exactly sort out language
from macro language from subtag language from language extensions... It's
just a whole bunch of building blocks for full language definitions. Does
anyone have a pointer on how to get an directory of language tags (The
fully worded Lang-Script-Location-sublang-extention-private form, and not
jsut the peices of ) s from this registry? Is there an IANA validator ?

It seems to be complete, and the backbone the internet is built on, and
it's living (current file is dated 5/12/2020), and I'd rather be getting
complete tags from a lookup than trying to piece them together from
the parts myself.

*PS. English From itself: *

As it stands, these are the codes for sorting English. I'm probably abusing
"region" a bit, but this list should allow for compatibility to existing
sorting while at the same time allow for enhanced automatic translation in
the future.
1. Old English : ang
2. Middle English : enm
3. Early Modern English : enm-GB-emodeng (OR?) en-GB-emodeng
=== (British) English ===
4. English : en OR English : en-GB OR 4a. English (Oxford) : en-GB-oed
5. Accessible English : en-001-basiceng (??)
6. Basic (English) : en-001-basiceng
7. Core (English) : en-150-basiceng (??)
8. Developmental (English) : en-154-basiceng (??)
Easy English : ??
=== American (English) ===
American (English) : en-US
Restricted English : en-019-basiceng
Special[ized] English : en-021-basiceng (??)
Transitional English : en-US-basiceng (??)