[sword-devel] Firefox to remove support for the FTP protocol | ZDNet

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 13:44:20 EDT 2020

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 11:29 AM David Haslam <dfhdfh at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Caleb for so succinctly expressing the point that I vaguely
> hinted at.
>
> This is something that needs our urgent attention.

How does it need our attention? We have supported HTTP and HTTPS for a very
long time for any versions of the engine built with cURL. The option to
support FTP, HTTP, and HTTPS is left up to the repository manager. Going
down our standard list of repositories:

✔ https://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/http://ftp.bible.org/http://ftp.xiphos.org/http://ftp.ibt.org.ru/https://ftp.ebible.org/

All the repos under CrossWire control are already fully accessible over
HTTP(S). Xiphos, IBT, and eBible do not appear to be, from what I can tell,
but that is up to their own maintainers if they wish to enable that access.
With Apache or Nginx (or most of the popular static site servers out there)
enabling it is very easy. I have some automation that will enable it for
Nginx, if anyone needs help with that.

However, there isn't anything for CrossWire to do. We don't rely on the
browser for communication, so Mozilla or Chromium's plans to remove their
code for it are moot. We have our own implementation internally and we rely
on cURL if it's available at compile time. HTTP/HTTPS support was added to
the engine and repositories back when the iOS client was first created
because the iPhone doesn't permit FTP egress from the device (if memory
serves) but it does allow HTTP/HTTPS egress. There is little to no need to
remove the support when it exists already, and adding HTTP/HTTPS support to
each repository is already possible.

--Greg