[sword-devel] How to access raw OSIS files

Philip White philipwhite at cedarville.edu
Tue Mar 10 16:36:13 MST 2020

Ahh, that C API looks like what I would want.

I didn't mean to disparage or be uppity by stating my preference for
standardization; I greatly appreciate what this project (I use And
Bible on my phone). This is by far the smaller of my two concerns. I
may also suffer from not-invented-here syndrome.

I did not know about diatheke before you mentioned it. The tool I
envision is a less-like, Bible module viewer with stuff like strong's
numbers and morphology codes, and the ability to view commentaries
inline. Specifically, the personal commentary, so that I can see my
own notes along with verses. The only reason for using a terminal as a
UI is to avoid large libraries like QT4 or GTK (although, after using
BibleTime for a bit, I've been impressed with the startup time - not
so much with compile times though). The main thing that got me wanting
to make this is that any software that allows editing personal
commentaries has a builtin editor, rather than opening an external
editor like vim. My thought is to use the EDITOR environment variable.
It is possible that I could achieve everything I want with shell
scripts and diatheke; I'll have to think about that more.

Incidentally, I am on linux, but not Ubuntu. NixOS is my preferred distro.