[sword-devel] Are osisIDs, builtin_abbrevs[], chapmax, verseMax & prefAbbrev Hardcoded in the Engine?

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 9 11:05:34 MST 2020

Hi Maxwell,

Both are true.  The SWORD engine gets its versification information from
canon*.h header files, as you've found.

.h files are C++ include files which are included in the engine at
compile time.

We've had discussions about extracting versification definitions out
into data files and still may do this eventually.  The argument against
this is that we would like to have as few v11ns as possible such that we
can map between them.  i.e., currently, we prefer to make a Bible which
mostly uses, e.g., the KJV v11n scheme, but is off by one or two verses,
to push these verses into the nearest preceding verse which is included
in the KJV v11n scheme and add a footnote with literal number marker in
the text.  Also, v11ns need to remain immutable as modules built against
a versification will require rebuilding if the versification definition
changes.  We've additionally discussed the idea of having v11n
exceptions listed a module's configuration file: this modules uses KJV
v11n except for these 3 additions and these 2 variations.  Nothing has
moved forward with any of these ideas, but these are the directions we'd
likely

Hope this helps,

Troy