[sword-devel] Not user-friendly behavior in commentaries (should be continuous)

yvand yvand.sword at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 09:29:07 EDT 2020

> On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 11:19 AM Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org
> <mailto:karl at kleinpaste.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/30/20 11:45 AM, yvand wrote:
>>     I think Karl already talked about this feature in the past. But
>>     maybe I am wrong, I did not find the conversation.
>
>     Xiphos has a feature, "commentary by chapter," so that whole
>     commentary chapters are displayed along with whole Bible chapters,
>     and then the verse is tracked visually in the commentary pane, but
>     in a different manner from the Bible pane (i.e. current verse
>     always aligned to top, plus a preceding horizontal rule).  It's a
>     UI issue IMO, not an engine issue.  If you explicitly list the
>     verse range covered in your markup, then I imagine you might get
>     the effect you want in other UIs.
>
>     Up to this time, Xiphos' commentary by chapter has not been
>     default, and I wonder if I should make it so in the future.
>

> I think so. Since Bibles are by chapter, it makes sense to have
> commentaries as well, but :

A commentary view in frontends, as Karl mentioned, might be a good thing.

I still don't understand why the OSIS reference "Gen.1.1-Gen.1.19" is
interpreted as "Gen.1.1" only! Again, why this behavior? It seems not
logical for me. Are commentaries in OSIS only verse by verse?

And issues are still there:

- A commentary like "Gen.7.17-Gen.8.5" (in FreCJE = Day by Day, by J.
Koechlin in French) will only be shown at chapter 7, isn't it? I should
also use a "hack" and put an OSIS reference like ""Gen.7.17 Gen.8.1"
(not use continuous reference notation).

- It would be impossible to highlight properly the commentary as you
mentioned (if I understood correctly).

This is again my 2 cents.