[sword-devel] API morph search (greek)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Jul 7 08:38:42 EDT 2020

While I sympathize with your position, SWORD filters have always been applied in the order they are specified in the .conf file and many have order dependencies. SWORD filters are like UNIX piped commands. Order matters.

Some SWORD filter authors have used inter-dependencies and we don't have a complex system of "dependsOn"  properties in the filter-set so each might know of any filters which needs to run before itself, with a manager working it all out. In fact, it is conceivable that, as with UNIX pipes, different ordering might be desired for different circumstances. Filters in SWORD are simply snippets of code which conform to a SAX processing model and are dynamically configured to be executed in whatever order is specified.  The way these dependencies are specified is by order in the .conf file.

I really do sympathise with your position, Karl, and in practice, there is typically only a few order dependencies which exist. The alternative is to either remove these filter interdependencies altogether, or else to build the aforementioned "dependsOn" framework so a filter can specify its dependencies which need to run first, and then build the logic to organize all the specified dependencies for each specific filter pipeline and establish an order based on these, and then to change the principle that order in a .conf file is no longer a programmatic declaration of processing order.

Troy