[sword-devel] imp2vs and v11n from SWORD v1.6.2 onwards?

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Fri Jul 3 11:36:53 EDT 2020

Although this issue was first encountered using the compiled Window version of imp2vs.exe ,
it has since been confirmed to me by Jon Perkes that imp2vs under Linux does not work with -v Catholic2 in the command line.
It simply hangs.

This prompts the question as to whether any alternative versification from SWORD 1.6.2 actually works with imp2vs
cf. We know that it does work OK for -v Vulg - a v11n that was first supported by SWORD 1.6.1

Even though we do not accept submissions of Bible modules made using imp2vs for other very sound reasons,
when someone already has a translation in IMP format, it can still be useful for initial testing to build one directly from IMP format.

Moreover, seasoned module developers all know that the round trip from
module => mod2imp => IMP file => imp2vs => module
is usually the only round trip almost guaranteed to succeed without data loss.

cf. The syntax help for the deprecated mod2osis tool even points to that as a better method.

The syntax help for imp2vs lists all the v11n options up to SWORD 1.8 so I'm puzzled why some of these work and some don't.
Could it be that only the syntax help was added when some Sword tools were updated?

I would be grateful if one of the SWORD C++ coders could look into this issue.

I've not yet added this as an issue in our tracker, but I am willing to do so, if this would help at all.
cf. The recent woes that Karl observed earlier this week are a hindrance to using the tracker, but that's another story.

Best regards,

David

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.