[sword-devel] Windows Subsystem for Linux - Sword, utilities for Windows

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 22:03:58 MST 2019

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 7:43 PM Dudeck, John <John.Dudeck at sim.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Has anyone built Sword in the Windows Subsystem for Linux? Has anyone
> built the Windows utilities this way?

I have no access to a Windows machine at present. My Surface is on
indefinitely loan to a friend who is in school. I haven't touched it.

> If so, please point me to a tutorial on how to set it up and use it.
>
> I am getting desperate for a build of osis2mod for windows that correctly
> handles verse range linking in commentaries. The current version 3141 in
> Xiphos does not link all verses in a verse range to the commentary for that
> range.
>
> I brought up this problem several months ago. I have been waiting
> patiently. I still do not see any updated utilities in the usual places.

Is this problem fixed in Subversion? If it's not fixed there, you'll not
see an update to the Windows utils that reflect the fix.

If it is, then you'll need to wait until I curate a 1.8.2 release that
includes the relevant patches. At that point I'll make a new build of the
Windows utilities in the Fedora MinGW toolchain, then create a release of
the utils to my own download area.

Just a friendly reminder: there are NO official Windows builds of the
utilities. Anything that exists in the Windows world for the utils exists
solely from my hands. And I own neither a Windows machine nor do I
contribute at all to the development of the utils. I only curate the
release branches and do the builds for the Fedora packages, including the
MinGW version. Those versions are identical to the Xiphos for Windows
release, which simply package up the same files from my same builds. The
only official versions of the utilities are built directly from Subversion
on Linux hosts.

--Greg