[sword-devel] Mobile App Translators - Help Wanted

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun May 26 12:46:00 MST 2019

As I mentioned in my previous email.  This past weekend I have spent
some time internationalizing one of our Android and iOS apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.crosswire.bishop

I have created a "gibberish" translation file for testing, but now am to
the point that I believe it is mostly complete.  If you might be willing
to translate this gibberish file into a language with which you are
natively familiar, I am sure that people group would be very grateful
for your work, and so would I.  Here is the file for translation.

https://git.crosswire.org/main/bishop/blob/master/www/bundledResources/uilocales.d/de-utf8.conf

The format should be straighforward to understand.  Generally it is:

English Text=Translated Text

There are a few occasions where buttons are split into 2 lines, e.g.,

Variant Study L1=Variant

Variant Study L2=Study

This should be generally intuitive to figure out while translating.

Finally, there are some very long strings in the "About" screen and
Install Manager Warning screens which can be seen as the last 10 lines
or so in the file.  I decided to use shorter keys than the entire
English text so these have keys like:

App About Header=

App About L1=

App About L2=

I hope you can figure out from my gibberish here what the original
english actually is.  My giggerish dialect is generally a conversion of
non-initial vowels to zero (0).  You may need to find these long strings
in the app if you can't figure out my gibberish.

I will post development bundles with translations included as they come
in, so you can see how your work looks in the app before we publish the
next version.  If you'd like to try your work out as you translate, on
Android, the app will look on your SD card for locales at:
/sword/uilocales.d/, so if you place your locale file there, it should
be recognized and available to choose under settings.

A developer preview of 1.2.0 which includes locale support is available
at: http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop.apk

Thank you for any help.  Blessings,

Troy