[sword-devel] New locales.d [Pref Abbrevs]

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat May 25 10:50:31 MST 2019

For sometime now, the SWORD VerseKey class has had a method to obtain a
biblical book's "preferred abbreviation":

VerseKey::getBookAbbrev

Since inception, this has been implemented to return simply the OSIS
abbreviation, but has always been intended to return a localized
preferred abbreviation. (we already have a method to get the OSIS book
name: VerseKey::getOSISBookName)

There is now a new section in locales.d/*.conf files supported which
allows these preferred abbreviations for a locale to be supplied.  For
testing, I have added the section to the de-ut8.conf, with my feeble
attempt to choose a German abbreviation for each book.  Please, could a
German native speaker update these to the most common preferred
abbreviation for each book by checking a few printed sources?

Anyway, I would love to have this section supported for each SWORD
locale.  Please submit for any language you feel qualified to update.
Please check printed sources to confirm your chosen abbreviations are in
common use.  Also, be sure your chosen abbreviation also parseable by
the locale! i.e., it should also have an entry in [Book Abbrevs] which
allows it to parse.  Reminder: the entry in Book Abbrevs only needs to
be a superset for the abbreviation, e.g., a single entry in Book
Abbrevs: "Genesis", will allow parsing of "Genesis", "Genesi", "Genes",
"Gene", "Gen", "Ge", and "G" to all be parsed as "Genesis", provided
another, more exact entry doesn't exist.

The format is:

OSISID=PreferredAbbrevForLocale

and the de-utf8.conf locale can be used as an example, by looking at its
[Pref Abbrev] section.

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/locales.d/de-utf8.conf

Thank you in advance for your locale contributions,

Troy